Croc wrangler Matt Wright’s case returns to court

In this article, you will get all the information regarding Croc wrangler Matt Wright’s case returns to court

There was no performance outside Darwin Local Court today, but in a packed courtroom a well-known name was the center of attention.

The court case for Top End croc wrestler Matt Wright has returned to Judge Greg Macdonald almost two months after the Netflix star made his first court appearance in November last year.

There was no sign of Wright, who remains out on bail on the Sunshine Coast with his wife and newborn baby.

The court case for Top End croc wrestler Matt Wright has returned to Judge Greg Macdonald almost two months after the Netflix star made his first court appearance in November last year.
The court case for Top End croc wrestler Matt Wright has returned to Judge Greg Macdonald almost two months after the Netflix star made his first court appearance in November last year. (9News)

The 43-year-old faces seven counts in what prosecutors claim was an attempt to derail an investigation into a fatal accident that killed his friend Chris Wilson on an egg harvest trip from crocodile.

Wright has yet to plead guilty, although his Sydney-based lawyer, Greg Jones, has previously told media that Wright has denied any wrongdoing and will fight the charges.

Wright’s co-defendants – helicopter pilot Michael Burbidge and former police officer Neil Mellon – were also represented by their lawyers today, with all three men being excused from appearing in person.

Today’s proceedings were to determine whether the case would go to trial in the Supreme Court.

The 43-year-old faces seven counts in what prosecutors claim was an attempt to derail an investigation into a fatal accident that killed his friend Chris Wilson on an egg harvest trip from crocodile.
The 43-year-old faces seven counts in what prosecutors claim was an attempt to derail an investigation into a fatal accident that killed his friend Chris Wilson on an egg harvest trip from crocodile. (9News)

Instead, all three cases were delayed for a further six weeks as the ongoing investigation continued to bring to light new evidence.

The prosecution will file an application with the court on Friday to change Mr. Wright’s bond.

Attorney Giles O’Brien Hartcher said the changes would be opposed.

The Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions is scheduled to appear Friday to make submissions to the court regarding proposed changes to Wright’s bail conditions.

O’Brien Hartcher took a quick leap out of court, refusing to answer questions from reporters.

Mellon’s attorney, Sally Ozolins, also requested that her client’s bail be modified to allow him access to his passport.

Ozolins told the court that Mellon was considering going on an overseas cruise in March and was also considering a potential job opportunity in Singapore.

She also sought to have Ray Murphy, a Darwin attorney involved in legal matters with Mellon’s wife, Senior Sergeant Sandi Mellon, removed from the no-contact list.

The sergeant is also due to appear in court next month after being charged with trespassing and assault.

Wright, Burbidge and Mr. Mellon will have their cases returned to court on March 8.

Croc wrangler Matt Wright’s case returns to court

For more visit ReportedCrime.com

Latest News by ReportedCrime.com

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: