Florida officials seek $250K fine against Orlando FreeFall operator in teen’s death

In this article, you will get all the information regarding Florida officials seek $250K fine against Orlando FreeFall operator in teen’s death

ORANGE COUNTY, Florida. – A Investigation into the fatal plunge of a 14-year-old boy Orlando FreeFall Thrill Ride determined that the boy’s death was caused by changes to the seat sensors. Now the Florida Department of Agriculture is seeking a $250,000 administrative penalty against the ride operator, officials said at a news conference on Tuesday. News4JAX sister station WKMG News 6 reports.

Tire Sampson, who was visiting Orlando from Missouri, slipped from his seat on the 400-foot-tall attraction and died while on spring break. The Orlando FreeFall attraction at ICON Park has been closed since the boy died. The Slingshot Group operated the Orlando FreeFall and the Orlando Slingshot, but after the teenager’s death, owners of ICON Park demanded that the company suspend all transport operations.

An independent forensic engineering firm engaged in the department’s investigation found the operator had made “manual adjustments to the ride which made it unsafe” and allowed the restraint harness to be opened. be “almost double” the normal opening range, Fried said earlier this year.

The report shows that the harness sensor for the seat Sampson was in was “manually loosened, adjusted and re-tightened to allow a restraint opening of nearly 7 inches.”

Samson tire

The report shows that the harness sensor for the seat Sampson was in was “manually loosened, adjusted and re-tightened to allow a restraint opening of nearly 7 inches.”

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried said at Tuesday’s press conference that tampering with the sensors allowed the ride to begin and “directly led to its downfall.” The investigation also showed that the attendants lacked proper training for the attraction.

“The ministry’s investigation revealed that there had been minimal training on the ride. A training manual did not exist,” she said. “Neither the attendants nor the operator had read or seen the manufacturer’s manual, and no operating documents were provided to the attendants or operators (who) were on duty.”

Fried said the administrative complaint was filed, which reveals ride attendants “were specifically instructed to seat ‘taller guests’ in Seats 1 and 2,” indicating that they were aware that certain seats had been adjusted after market to accommodate taller guests.

Lawyers Ben Crump and Bob Hilliard, who were hired to represent Sampson’s familyreleased the following statement after Fried’s announcement:

“Today’s news from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is an important step toward holding those responsible for Tyre Sampson’s death earlier this year fully accountable. This week, Tyr’s family will live its first holiday season without him.His family will always have an empty seat at the table – this angst deserves responsibility in the highest sense from the entities responsible for this tragedy.

Fried also said the department will forward its investigation report and findings to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office to review criminal charges.

“There was an attempt to change the sensors there. Whether there is criminal intent will be at the discretion not only of the sheriff’s office, but also of the ultimate prosecutors in this county, if they wish, to pursue criminal charges,” she said.

In response to Fried’s comment, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office released the following statement:

Since the boy’s death, the state has planned to propose legislation to “help prevent the kind of tragedy that happened to Tire from ever happening again.”

State Senator Geraldine Thompson said the legislation, which she said will be called the Tire Sampson Act, would address several issues including signage, inspections, training and more.

“When the millions of people who visit Florida come to this state, we want them to know there is oversight, there is accountability, there are inspections, there is training requirements,” she said.

Update comes over a month after The Slingshot Group announced that the ride would be cancelled. However, the deadline for dismantling the ride has been suspended until the ministry completes its investigation.

Now that the investigation is complete, Thompson said they expect the ride to be scrapped, though she didn’t provide a specific timeline.

An autopsy report revealed the teenager weighed 383 pounds and was just over 6ft tall when he fell off the ride. According to a manual produced by the ride’s manufacturer, Funtime Thrill Rides, the maximum weight allowance for Orlando FreeFall was 130 kilograms, or 286 pounds.

A few weeks after the boy’s fatal fall, his family’s lawyers officially filed a lawsuit against Funtime Thrill Rides, the manufacturer; Slingshot Group, the owner-operator in Florida; and ICON Park, which leased the space.

The lawsuit alleges that the operators of the ride should have known that passengers might be “subjected to unreasonably dangerous and foreseeable risks, and that serious injury and death to the occupants of the ride might result.”

Copyright 2022 by WKMG ClickOrlando – All Rights Reserved.

.

Florida officials seek $250K fine against Orlando FreeFall operator in teen’s death

For more visit ReportedCrime.com

Latest News by ReportedCrime.com

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: